ATSU partners with Barrow Neurological Institute in concussion network
ATSU has partnered with the internationally known Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Ariz., in their Barrow Concussion Network. The network is the most comprehensive concussion prevention, treatment, and education program for young athletes in the nation.
Under the leadership of Barrow physicians and the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA), the network will include mandatory concussion education, voluntary pre-injury baseline testing, post-injury medical resources to all AIA schools and provide groundbreaking research on injured Arizona students. ATSU joins other network partners, the Arizona Cardinals and AIA.
Leading the initiative at ATSU is Tamara Valovich McLeod, PhD, ATC, professor, interdisciplinary health sciences – athletic training. According to Dr. McLeod, ATSU will be involved in providing to the Barrow concussion registry a record of student athletes with concussions in Arizona. ATSU will also be involved in the baseline testing of student athletes to measure their cognitive level. Another tool, ImPACT, a concussion evaluation system that helps determine when an athlete is well enough to return to play following a concussion, will also be used. According to Barrow, this is the first time that every athlete will have access to this valuable tool.
“This is a great collaborative partnership for ATSU, Barrow, and the other partners. It will allow us to expand our ability to continue our concussion research and bring our athletic training program and concussion research to a wider audience,” said Dr. McLeod.
For more information about this article, please visit http://iconnect.atsu.edu/?p=7509
Become an ImPACT® Client:
- Excel Sports Therapy on IMPACT Concussion testing
- Concussions: What you should know
- UMS-Wright Claims Victory In State Championship - ImPACT Concussion Testing A Win For Players
- Doctor Juan Ronderos on 'Sports Concussions' - A Fox10 News Special Report
- ImPACT Test: How It's Used To Determine Concussion Recovery
- Metro Student-Athlete Speaks Out Over Dangers of Concussions
- Baseline testing is vital to concussion diagnosis
- The Chicago Blackhawks, in conjunction with the Amateur Hockey Association of Illinois (AHAI), Athletico Physical Therapy and NorthShore University HealthSystem, will be offering a second year of free ImPACT testing.
- Concussions In The Spotlight
- Konerko says he felt out of this world while recovering from concussion
I just wanted to commend you and your staff for the great resources you supply for promoting ImPACT. They make our job a lot easier as we try to implement ImPACT.
- Amy Chamberlain, MS, ATC, CSCS, Orthopaedic Rehab Specialists, PC